Wednesday, March 24, 2010

eReaders: Way of the Future or Just a Nice Convenience for Some?

It's all the buzz in the library planning world? Do we buy more books or should we budget our money to put eReaders in the hands of our students? I'm conflicted on this one. I think the important question isn't how do we get our students the latest and greatest technology - it's how do we get our students what they want/need to become better learners?

And the answer, my friends, depends on the school itself. Last semester I observed at a very technological advanced high school. The students are ready for some sort of eReader. The school librarian is working to meet their needs by developing a structured roll out of eReaders for her students.

This semester I'm observing at a K-8. From my observations and understanding, these students do not have any want/need for eReaders. Yes, I just saw an 8th grader walk into the library with a pretty hefty backpack. But, I also just checked out two early novels to a fourth grader who couldn't wait to dive in. I don't think he would have been as excited if I was uploading the books to his eReader.

My other thought is, even with eReaders, we still have the challenge of providing our students with current, accurate information. Isn't this best done though the use of up-to-date, well-researched articles found in electronic databases. But, I suppose with textbooks, it is easier to update our content using an electronic version as opposed to a ridiculously expensive textbook.

I just discussed the idea of eReaders with another librarian and she brought up a good point about eReaders for use with students with language-based-learning disabilities. Having electronic versions of text allows students easier access to text to voice options. This can assist students who are better audio learners and struggle with reading comprehension otherwise.

On the plus side, Follet is coming out with new education-based eReaders that will have some text-to-type features built right in. I believe that the company is trying to make it easier for schools to make the transition. For example, with the purchase of one ebook, 6 students can "check out" the book at once. I guess that's like 6 for the price of 1.

Just some food for thought... I won't be jumping to buy myself an eReader anytime soon. But it just doesn't fit in with my lifestyle. But, there are some good points for the adoption of eReaders in education.

1 comment:

  1. Great post - the Follett reader sounds great. Of course I had to go google it to read more...

    ReplyDelete