Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Playing Around with Online Multimedia

This week in class we're studying online multimedia (YouTube, TeacherTube, Podcast Alley, iTunes, VoiceThread, Europa Film Treasures, etc.)

Personally, I love YouTube. I think what I love most about it is that the community always has what I'm looking for. Whether it is a sewing tutorial, a cooking technique, a laughing baby, or a guy tripping on a treadmill, I can always find a video to entertain my interests.

I also love YouTube because it's a surefire way to entertain the little one with videos of Elmo on both the iTouch and iMac. If I'm getting dressed or folding laundry, I put Elmo on the iMac and Eva will dance and sing in a room where there isn't much for her to do (except get into trouble in Daddy's fishing box). If we're on the go or in the car, I put a video on the iTouch. Now that's raising information literate children for you right there!

I'm not really into listening to Podcasts. Maybe I haven't found the right voice yet. But, I don't think my attention span is that of a podcast listener. I love them for searchable content though. For example, if I'm looking for an expert on library education, I like that I can search for a podcast to provide me with that expert opinion and easily share that podcast with others.

Kids love online multimedia. Therefore, I think we should be using YouTube and podcasts in the classroom whenever possible. Just make sure they are staying focused on the research topic. Otherwise, it's two hours later and they are still watching guys falling off the treadmill.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I agree about the podcasts and several people have mentioned that it seems more like they are an innovative way of presenting learned content rather than a great source of information. It is interesting to see how someone like you who has grown up as the internet has expanded perceives it and is making it a part of your child's life in age appropriate ways. A great perspective for me as someone who had her first baby the same year she hooked her dial-up to AOL for the first time. (2400 bps - smokin' fast!)

    As far as classroom implications, I loved the last tip, especially!

    ReplyDelete