Monday, March 1, 2010

Getting into the blogging groove; Using RSS

As you'll notice, it's been almost two weeks since my last blog post. That isn't right. I should be posting more often in order to keep my readers engaged and entertained. It's very hard to become a “blogger.” A blogger is open to sharing their experiences and feelins with their readers. I owe you my few kind readers more. I promise to be a better blogger.

Now for the school work:

What blogs in my RSS reader? A LOT! I have blogs for mommies, blogs for foodies, blogs for crafters, blogs for librarians, blogs for Bostonians, blogs for cupcake lovers (yes there are more than one!). I keep them sorted and categorized by work and play. I check my Google RSS reader daily. If it's been a few days, I quickly scan the titles and then mark all as read when I'm done. I am a better blog reader when I read daily. If I let the feeds build up then I get more overwhelmed and retain less of the information I read.

I think RSS is a strong tool for education and we should be teaching all students how to use RSS to help sort and manage information overload.

Some of my favorite blogs are:

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm...cupcakes...

    I mean, I am glad that you give yourself permission to skim. I had a hard time doing that at first but RSS can become a burden if you don't. I tend to categorize blogs that are must reads in a specific folder that I check more frequently and then let shorpy and bookshelves of doom bulk up so that I have a nice fat file to look at when I have the time to indulge myself.

    Which brings us back to cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete