Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Favorite Web Apps for Educators

What are my top 5 favorite online apps for educators? This is a very tough question. I think I'll base this on my daily habits and use of online apps as an educator. This means that there might be some FANTASTIC apps out there that could be used to transform a lesson, but I'm just going to list the apps that transform my teaching abilities.

In no particular order:
1. GoogleReader for RSS: I'm subscribed to some pretty awesome blogs and news sites so my Google Reader keeps me up to date on the latest and greatest Web apps and education news. Well, the news isn't always so great these days.

2. Gmail: Email is the best collaboration tool out there! No question! 24/7 access to your co-teacher.

3. Wikispaces: Because updating a school library Web site is still not as simple as it can/should be, many schools are adapting to the use of Wikis. Why not, right? It's a place to share links, text, photos, news and more - all in a timely manner. Plus Wikis are a great collaboration tool and are easy enough for high school students to edit themselves.

4. Del.icio.us: Because I need virtual access to my favorite online links from anywhere I log in. Now if only I could remember my login information from computer to computer.

5. Jing: While I have rarely used it, I have to include Jing simply because of the extreme value I see it having for educating others. Jing allows you to record voice to go along with screen captures of online lessons. For example, the school librarian can record an online tutorial of GoogleDocs, including live screen shots and an audio lesson. Genius!

I'd also like to share my favorite list of online applications for education: Technology and Education Box of Tricks.

1 comment:

  1. Great links! And I love the box of tricks. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete